Saturday, August 22, 2015

"Making" a Dream Happen

A few years ago, I was fortunate to be one of the teachers selected to receive a 2:1 classroom set of iPads from our district. While I was elated when I found out I was one of the chosen classrooms, I soon went from excited to nervous. I was like the proverbial dog chasing cars. I caught one, now what was I supposed to do with it? This led to a small moment of panic. So I turned to my favorite research tool, Twitter, to find out how innovative educators were using mobile technology in their classrooms.

Once there I read about flipped classrooms, problem-based and inquiry-based learning, and genius hour. One day, I read an article about what I immediately considered to be the end-all, be-all of innovative education: classroom makerspaces. A makerspace is just what it sounds like: a place to make or create. In a classroom makerspace, students are encouraged to be creative and design original content using anything from film production and the arts to household "repurposed" items to engineering and coding skills. Students also have the chance to research about and create around their passions.

I will admit it: when I read about makerspaces in the classroom, I thought it was amazing but unobtainable. I viewed the idea as simply a dream: something I wanted but couldn't have. "My students might be too young for a makerspace. Even if they aren't, I couldn't pull it off - I'm not as innovative and creative as these awesome people," I thought. Looking back I was wrong about one of those thoughts: my students are not too young for a makerspace. I was trying to fit into the boxes of thought that I saw - but a makerspace doesn't have to only be for older students; 3rd and 4th graders are capable of creating and making on their level, too!

The other thought wasn't necessarily incorrect, I still am sure I'm not as innovative and creative as some of the amazing educators I see on Twitter. However, I was not thinking about it in the right way. These teachers are not posting their ideas to brag and show off, they are posting them because they want to share. They want other students across the world to have the same experiences as their own students because they have seen the power of innovation in their classrooms. This is the beauty of Twitter and education: it is a place to learn and become more creative through the inspiration of others. So, I kept following them and working on ideas of my own - trying to think of a way to fit a makerspace into my own little corner of the world.

Implementing a makerspace has been a process, or a journey if you prefer. I didn't realize this until reflecting recently, but this journey started way back on a snow day in February of 2013 when the application for our district's iPad grant arrived in my email inbox. It has traveled through learning how to use an iPad as a transformational tool instead of an expensive worksheet to film production with 3rd and 4th graders to flipping my classroom to PBLs. Looking back, I view those strategies as building blocks. Each one taught me something about trying new ideas and perseverance. Now I am able to add the final piece: my Innovation Station. (I know, cutesy, but it's what we are calling our makerspace.)

This summer, I was able to attend Podstock for the second time. If you haven't read it, check out my post from last year about how inspirational this conference is. I attended with maker education in mind, knowing I wouldn't be disappointed - and I wasn't. While there I went to an excellent session, led by Paul Carver (@mrpscarver). Mr. Carver shared with the room his method of running a classroom makerspace and allowed us to participate in a Hot Wheels Challenge so we could experience for ourselves what it is like to participate in a maker ed activity. Not only did this challenge speak to my inner child (I mean, come on, HOT WHEELS!), but I was also able to see the power of planning, revising, and collaborating while creating something new. Our team's track was not stellar (see below), but it challenged us to justify our thinking and prove that we had met the requirements of the challenge.



After participating in the session, I was convinced I had made the right decision in adding an Innovation Station to my classroom. I was also convinced my students were going to love this Hot Wheels Challenge. Thankfully, Mr. Carver shared his lesson with us so we could take it back to our districts. Honestly, I can not thank him enough for the inspiration and sharing of ideas. I designed a lesson based on his, and yesterday, on the first Friday of the new school year, my maker-dreams started happening.

All summer I collected repurpose-able items: cardboard from my home and other teachers, PVC pipe scraps, Styrofoam, egg cartons from my parents (I'm so glad they eat eggs every morning.), and anything else I saw that I thought might be usable this coming year. When I showed my class the tools and materials they had to work with, I was surprised at how excited they were. I knew I was thrilled, but they could hardly calm down enough for me to tell them what we were doing. It turns out students have a natural desire to be creators of content instead of consumers. I know - who knew? (It also turns out kids really like toy cars. Not that I blame them...)

Over the hour during which students created their tracks I witnessed team-building, measurement, design and engineering, angle identification, justification of ideas, and (most importantly) excitement. One team attempted to make a jump from one ramp to another ramp, which would return the car to where it started. Another team worked on a secret passageway made of egg cartons, duct tape, and hope. All four teams were able to make a usable track. The best moment occurred when one team's ramp worked for the first time: the whole team jumped up, cheering and high-fiving. If a Gatorade bucket had been available, they would have dumped it on someone.






The hour was messy, fun, educational, and over too soon. Afterwards, curiously, I asked the class what they learned. Answers ranged, thankfully, from mathematical principles such as measurement and geometry to working together. I learned from their answers, too. I knew what they were supposed to be learning and I even had an objective posted on the board. However, I was nervous they would think they were simply playing. They didn't. They knew they were learning while creating and building - and that is the realization of a dream.






7 comments:

  1. Your enthusiasm and love of teaching shine through every sentence you write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy for your success! It sounds like a great experience. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned about a form of maker-spaces when I was in college. As a counselor I shared the idea with some teachers over the years, but they wouldn't bite. I guess the fear of the unknown was too great. So glad you found out about them, too. Your maker space is much more intentional than the way I learned. Keep doing what you do!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure glad it looks intentional, it doesn't feel intentional sometimes! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. I'm sure glad it looks intentional, it doesn't feel intentional sometimes! Thanks!

      Delete