Monday, September 23, 2013

Lasting Impact

I can't remember if I ever thanked her.  I've been trying to remember for almost a week now.  Oh, I'm sure I gave her a teacher appreciation gift and a thank you card a couple of times - my mom always made me.  That's not what I mean, though.  I mean a true, heartfelt thanks - the kind that makes someone know they are truly appreciated.  I don't think I ever had the chance (or is it that I never took the chance?) to properly thank Ms. North and now I never really will.  So, let this post be my thank you.  I apologize for its tardiness.

Rita North was first my elementary music teacher, then my voice coach, and finally my choir director.  At least, those were her job titles.  She was, of course, so much more to me and to all her students, friends, and family.  I attended her funeral today. It was really more of a celebration, which is what it should've been.  I know that I am not the only one who would not be where I am without her influence.

Teaching is my first love, my passion.  But music is a close second.  Some students will tell you that the two are so entwined that it is often hard to tell the difference. I learned that from Ms. North.  A song makes anything better.  Without music, life would be empty.  Music is one thing that can unite people of all backgrounds.  Rita was my first influence in music.  She is the reason I still love it today.

At first, I thought that was her only influence on me, but I was wrong.  As I have reflected these past few days since she passed away, I have seen her influence in so many places.  Not surprisingly, one of those areas in which I see her stamp on my life is in my teaching.  Ms. North took over the elementary music program when I was in 2nd grade.  One of the first lessons I remember her teaching was one in which she played a song and asked us to simply move in whatever way the music made us feel like moving.  As I slithered across the floor like a snake, I remember thinking, "Man, our old music teacher would never let us do this!  Ms. North is awesome!"  The next year I signed up for voice lessons.  I was the only boy and slightly embarrassed by that, but Rita made me feel proud.  She made me feel cool for wanting to be a musician.  It is that innovative, creative thinking that I try to bring to my teaching today.  I didn't realize it, but she is the reason why.

I also remember how Ms. North made us feel like a real part of her life.  She would bring out her guitar and sing Silent Night every year as the holidays got closer.  Her alto voice beautifully meshed with the simple chords she played and to this day it is the one sound I think of when I think of Christmas.  Ms. North would joke with us, laugh with us, even cry with us when we needed it.  We weren't just in her class; we were in her life.  Once again, I realized last week that she is the reason I strive to make the same connections with my students each year.

I could go on.  I could tell you about how she made me feel I was unique and talented.  I could tell you about the insane work ethic that she instilled in me.  But words fail me.  Suffice it to say, Ms. North's impact is far-reaching and long-lasting.  A light has gone out in the world with Rita North's passing.  However, the places touched by that light still shine - and that is the true measure of a teacher.  I only hope that one day I have a fraction of the impact she had.

Thank you, Ms. North.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Brian. She was such a wonderful lady.

    ReplyDelete